February 7, 2020 IN: Immigration, National
Southeast Asian American and Asian American Organizations Across the Country Denounce Trump Administration’s Move to Increase Deportations to Laos
Hmong/Lao Americans with Removal Orders Should Seek Legal Assistance
Washington, DC – We learned that in 2019 the US State Department (DOS), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and the Government of Laos made a verbal agreement to deport a significant number of individuals annually with final removal orders to Laos. While there is currently no formal deportation memorandum of understanding between the United States and Laos, this verbal agreement makes those with final orders for deportation potentially more vulnerable to removal by the Trump Administration.
- All individuals who currently live in the United States with deportation orders to Laos should contact organizations in your state or the regions closest to you for assistance.
- All individuals who are green card holders who are facing criminal convictions should talk to their lawyer about deportation consequences.
- Those seeking advocacy support for detentions and deportations can also access this resistance toolkit.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice – ALC, Anoop Prasad, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asian Prisoner Support Committee, Nate Tan, email@example.com
- Fresno Interdenominational Refugee Ministries, Lucky Siphongsay, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hmong Innovating Politics, Nkauj Iab Yang, email@example.com
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Atlanta, Phi Nguyen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asian American Resource Workshop, Kevin Lam, email@example.com
- Greater Boston Legal Services – Asian Outreach Unit, Bethany Li, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coalition of Asian American Leaders, KaYing Yang, email@example.com
- Lao Assistance Center of Minnesota, Sunny Chanthanouvong, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release MN8, Montha Chum, email@example.com
- Mekong NYC, Chhaya Chhoum, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southeast Asian Defense Project, Socheatta Meng, email@example.com
- Southeast Asian Coalition, Ong Vang, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laos in the House, Catzie V., email@example.com
- VietLead, Nancy Nguyen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Providence Youth Student Movement, Theary Voeul, email@example.com
- Khmer Anti-Deportation Advocacy Group, Sina Sam, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Freedom, Inc., Kabzuag Vaj, email@example.com