- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Resource Center
- Contact Us
Training and Technical Assistance for Refugee Communities from Bhutan and Burma
The T&TA Project for Refugee Communities from Bhutan and Burma is a three-year initiative supported by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) that seeks to build capacity of the Bhutanese and Burmese communities so that they can better organize and address the resettlement and long term integration needs of their community members.
SEARAC works in partnership with the Intergenerational Center (IGC) at Temple University, MOSAICA: The Center for Nonprofit Development and Pluralism, and the Karen American Communities Foundation (KACF) to implement this project.
The project includes three components:
- Building community relationship and gaining greater understanding of community needs
- Building capacity of community members to organize and help refugees toward self-sufficiency
- Increasing local service and resource collaborations amongst social service providers, resettlement agencies, ethnic CBOs, and refugee leaders from Bhutan and Burma.
The groups/organizations that were selected for this project include:
Bhutanese community sites in Atlanta, GA & Houston, TX:
- Bhutanese Association of GA (BAG)
- Bhutanese Community of GA (BCG)
- Bhutanese Nepali Community of Houston (BNC)
- Bhutanese American Association of Houston (BAAH)
Communities from Burma:
- Chin Community Development (CCD), Frederick, MD
Through Karen American Community Foundation (KACF)
- Karen community of North Carolina
- Karen community in Kansas, Missouri and Kansas, KS
SEARAC works with selected sites and groups for a period of 12 months. The technical support includes helping selected groups and organizations to define and refine their organizational mission and objectives, establish leadership and operational infrastructure, develop meaningful and accountable service program designs, and build strategic community partnerships and networks for sustainability and growth.
RESOURCES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Audio Recording of Needs Assessment Presentation on Wednesday, April 20, 2011
- PPT Presentation of Needs Assessment
Thanks to Our Funders
AT&T Foundation, Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation, California Wellness Foundation, Kresge Foundation, The California Endowment, The Nathan Cummings Foundation, W.K Kellogg Foundation, Four Freedom Funds, Southwest Airlines, State Farm® .
Thanks to Our 40 & Forward Event Sponsors in DC, Minnesota, and California
Amherst Wilder Foundation, Asian American Studies Department (U of M), Asian Americans for Community Involvement, Beth Kessler / McKinsey & Company, College of Educationd+Human Development (U of M), Department of curriculum+instruction (U of M), HealthPartners, Humphrey School of Public Affairs (U of M), ICAN, Lao Assistance Center of MN, N. Cheng & Co., P.C., Navigate Forward, Silicon Valley Community Foundation, St. Paul Chamber of Commerce, St. Paul Foundation, St. Paul Public Schools Foundation, The SEAD Project, Thrivent Financial, United Way Minnesota.
Thanks to Our 40 & Forward Event Individual Supporters